Wednesday, August 29, 2012

One Week

It is incredibly hard to believe that we have only been in Israel for one week. It feels like we have been here for months already! Yet, at the same time, the days are flying by. I think it is because we have been so busy getting settled, learning our way around our new home of Karmiel and starting to volunteer. It's also amazing to me how fast a group of strangers can become like a family. To see our group of 23 interact, you would never know that most of us have only known each other for a week.


So what have I been doing in Karmiel?

We had a scavenger hunt around the city...


Made a potluck dinner in our kitchens that are equipped with hot plates and toaster ovens...


Put on a carnival for the kids living in the Mercaz...


Spread mulch around a city park to help prevent water from evaporating...

Finding great places to run...



And finally started learning hebrew! Yesterday was our Ulpan test, and we were split into two groups. I was placed in the beginner group, but I for sure fall smack in the middle of the two groups. I'm torn between staying the easier class and waiting for them to catch up to me, or moving to the more advanced level and struggling for a little while. Or possibly struggling for a long time. I think I was a little bit disappointed because I have been looking forward to Ulpan for so long, and it was not what I was expecting. Luckily it was only day one, and there are two months to go.

Tonight we are off to meet our adoptive families for dinner. I am so excited to meet them!

No comments:

Post a Comment