Saturday, May 7, 2011

Cinnamon Chip Banana Bread

I promised recipes. So here’s one of my best. Might as well start off strong, right? I love coming home and seeing I accidentally let the bananas go a day past where I would eat them straight. They’re the one fruit I will never, ever throw out. I’d much rather make a special trip to the store for the cinnamon chips than pass up a chance to make this.

This is one of those recipes that really can’t be messed up. Only have three bananas? It’ll be fine. I usually don’t even bother mashing them. Want to double the vanilla, omit the cinnamon chips, add nuts or use part whole-wheat flour? It’ll come out perfect every time. I’ve dumped the whole recipe into one really large loaf pan and made mini loaves. All you have to do is adjust the cooking time a little bit. But the best part? The way your whole house will smell all warm and cinnamonny (is that even a word? It’s the only way I can describe it). Anyway, it’s sublime. Try it and let me know how it comes out. 

Recipe slightly adapted from Cathy Lowe and the Food Network.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 very ripe bananas
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 cup Hershey’s cinnamon chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda and powder, salt. In a large bowl cream together eggs and sugar. Stir in mashed bananas, vanilla, oil and cinnamon. Stir in flour mixture, a third at a time, until just combined. Add chocolate and cinnamon chips and stir to combine. Divide batter into two 9x5 loaf pans. Bake for about 1 hour.  

No comments:

Post a Comment