Saturday, May 21, 2011

Exploring the Serengeti

It's amazing how something can be right under your nose for so long, yet you go through life without discovering it. I've lived in the Syracuse area for my entire life, and I've been running at Green Lakes State Park since I was in middle school. Yet it took until today for me to finally discover what is unofficially called Syracuse's Serengeti.

Not the Serengeti, but one of the parts of Green Lakes I love.
Wow. I alternately thought I was in Africa, running through the real Serengeti, or on one of my favorite hikes in the Jilaboon, in northern Israel. It was incredibly easy to forget I was running through a state park only a few miles from my house.

We took a tour of the 7@7 Livestrong trail run course and it was incredible. I covers the well-loved lake trails, some incredibly challenging hills and tons of gorgeous vistas. I only wish I could have risked looking up from the ground to enjoy. It's going to be a tough race. I still haven't decided if its one I'm going to do or not, but one thing is for sure. I'm definitely going to be making use of those trails more often.

I probably shouldn't have run today, but it's amazing how the thought of running gets in your head and you can't get it out. I didn't do the whole 90 minutes, but I'm already paying for it and it looks like I'll be back in the pool for the rest of this up coming week.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though. My sister and I leave for Israel on Thursday! I can't believe it's here already. I guess I better get packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment