Sunday, May 15, 2011

Racing for a Cure

After nearly 6 months and countless hours of planning, not to mention the hundreds of emails sent, the day of the Komen Race for the Cure finally arrived. And that was just getting the team together, not the training. We showed up at the Fairgrounds yesterday 106 strong to represent CNY Gym Centre in support of Candy.
Candy's Crew!
As I've said before, despite the ugly course, random stop signs getting in the way of the runners and the broken up sections of road at the fairgrounds, this has always been my favorite race. It is so much more about the people who come out to support the survivors and those still struggling with this disease and the girl power :) The guys wearing tutus and boas and head to toe pink add to the celebratory atmosphere.

Oh, yea, and then you race. About that....crossed the finish line in 22:04, which just so happened to be good enough for second place in my age group out of 71, and 17th place out of all the women! I was thrilled to beat my goal of coming in under 23 minutes. I wound up PRing by about 2 minutes and 40 seconds. I got across the line just in time to grab a water and turn around to see my co-worker crossing the pink tape as the winner of all the survivors. That was pretty incredible. Go Holly!

All in all, I'd have to say the race was a success. They raised almost $800,000 for breast cancer research and are still going strong. I had a group of my gymnasts run (for most it was their first ever 5k) and it was great to be there at the finish line to cheer them on. I was so proud of them. Check out my level four team: 100% participation!
The amazing CNY level 4s!
The rest of the girls continued the tradition of crossing the finish line on their hands. I hope we didn't upset anyone this year. We tried our best to stay out of the way! Congrats to everyone that ran. It was an awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment